Tuition and Policies
- Weekly 30-minute private lessons are $130/month
- (not offered for piano students ages 6 and up)
- Weekly 45-minute private lessons are $190/month
- Weekly 60-minute private lessons are $250/month
Tuition is billed monthly and is due by the 25th day of the preceding month (i.e. August tuition is due by July 25th, and so forth). East Valley School of Music is open year-round, but takes 1 week off for Spring Break in March, Summer Break in July, Fall Break in October, and Winter Break in December. Tuition is prorated during the first month of enrollment, and tuition remains the same for every month.
*Receive $20 of store credit each time you refer a student who signs up for private lessons.
*We offer the Andante, Moderato, and Allegro discount tuition packages for 3-month, 6-month, and 12-month payments.
Save some, save more, or save a lot, and avoid the hassle of monthly billing!
**Advanced tuition payments are non-refundable, but they may be transferred to an immediate family member. Advanced payments are also sheltered from a potential raise in tuition prices.
All new students and returning students are required to pay a $50 enrollment fee. The enrollment fee is non-refundable. Books, accessories, and recital fees are charged separately.
A La Carte Lessons
Schedule short-term private lessons with one of our experienced instructors to brush up on your skills or prepare for an audition!
- No enrollment fee or contracts!
- You can choose from 1 to 4 private lessons.
- Lessons must take place in consecutive weeks.
- Lessons must be scheduled on the same instrument with the same instructor.
- Payment must be made in advance to schedule lessons and is non-refundable.
East Valley School of Music sends out periodic emails with important announcements and updates. Please read these emails to stay informed. Upon enrolling in lessons, you will be given your instructor’s contact information, including phone number and email address. If you need to cancel a lesson, please contact your instructor directly.
If you need to change your scheduled timeslot, please contact your instructor. If your instructor is unable to find a timeslot that works for your schedule, it may be necessary to reassign you to another instructor. Due to difficulties in scheduling, we are unable to accommodate frequent timeslot changes. Student is expected to stay committed to the same weekly timeslot.
East Valley School of Music does not give refunds for missed lessons. Students who miss a lesson for any reason will have the opportunity to attend a group make-up class that will be held by their instructor once a month. Lessons cancelled by EVSM instructors will be rescheduled privately or taught by a substitute instructor.
Before enrolling in lessons at East Valley School of Music, student is required to have an instrument as well as other necessary accessories. Having the proper instrument and accessories is essential to students’ progress. Please read the following requirements for each instrument:
- Piano: Student must have an acoustic piano in order to enroll in lessons. Student is also required to purchase a metronome at instructor’s request.
- Voice: Student is required to have a CD player and a keyboard, digital piano, or acoustic piano in order to enroll in lessons.
- Guitar: Student is required to have an acoustic guitar or an electric guitar with amplifier in order to enroll in lessons. Student must also have a music stand, metronome, tuner, extra strings, and guitar picks.
- Bass: Student is required to have a bass guitar with amplifier in order to enroll in lessons. Student must also have a music stand, metronome, tuner, and extra strings.
- Strings: Student is required to have a working instrument with bow, rosin, and cleaning cloth in order to enroll in lessons. Cello students must have a rock stop for performances. Student must also have a music stand, metronome, and tuner. East Valley School of Music offers rentals for violin, viola, and cello. Please speak with your instructor before purchasing an instrument. Student may need to purchase additional materials upon instructor’s request.
- Woodwinds: Student is required to have a working instrument in order to enroll in lessons. Reed players are required to have a minimum of 2 working reeds at all times. Student must also have a music stand, metronome, and tuner. East Valley School of Music offers rentals for flute, clarinet, and saxophone. Please speak with your instructor before purchasing an instrument. Student may need to purchase additional materials upon instructor’s request.
- Percussion: Student is required to have an acoustic snare drum and/or practice pad, a bell kit, or a piano/keyboard, as well as sticks, a music stand, and a metronome. Student may need to purchase additional materials upon instructor’s request.
Waiting Area & Lesson Observation
Children under the age of 9 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Please keep children in the waiting area and do not leave children unattended in the hallways. While in the waiting area, please keep noise to a minimum. Parents are welcome to sit in on lessons at any time, but siblings, infants, and friends of students are not permitted to sit in on lessons as it is a distraction to both the student and the instructor and compromises the learning environment. Anyone other than parents or the student taking the lesson will be asked to leave the room.
Practice Requirement & Probation
Student is required to attend lessons regularly and practice consistently. Music lessons are a serious commitment, and East Valley School of Music cannot hold time-slots for students who are unable to attend and/or practice on a regular basis. Student is required to practice the minimum minutes assigned by instructor 5 days a week. Parent is required to sign off on lesson assignment sheets to verify practice time for students age 4-12. Instructor will notify parent if student is consistently absent, not practicing, not completing theory assignments, or misbehaving during lessons. If issues are not resolved, student will be placed on a 4-week probationary period, after which they may be dismissed from East Valley School of Music. Students who miss 3 consecutive lessons without communicating with their instructor or the office will be dismissed with no refund.
Recital Participation, Preparation, and Guidelines
East Valley School of Music offers several recitals and performance opportunities for students throughout the year. Please visit
our website for a complete list of all recitals and performances.
Formal recitals include our annual Holiday Recital and Graduation Recital, which are held in our performance hall.
- Student is expected to have recital repertoire performance-ready in advance. Students who are not prepared will not be allowed to perform. Memorization of repertoire is left up to the discretion of the instructor.
- Student is required to arrive at least 10 minutes early to all recitals. Depending on the instrument, student may be required to arrive up to 30 minutes early to prepare and warm-up per instructor’s request. Students who do not arrive in time to tune their instrument and/or warm-up may not be allowed to perform.
- Student is required to follow recital dress code, which is formal.
- Student is required to stay for their entire performance set as a courtesy to the other performers.
- Instructor will go over performance etiquette with each student prior to recital. Student is required to announce their name and piece and bow/curtsy after performing.
East Valley School of Music offers various public performances throughout the year.
- For school performances, time blocks are assigned to instructors to help control the flow of attendees. Students are expected to perform during their instructor’s assigned time block if possible.
Due to the nature of coordinating the schedules of instructors and students, it may be necessary to reassign a student to another instructor. Students assigned to an instructor who leaves East Valley School of Music will be reassigned to another EVSM instructor. Instructors are not permitted to teach EVSM students privately apart from the school.
Summer Travel Policy
East Valley School of Music continues lessons year-round. Students who withdraw from lessons for summer travel will not be guaranteed a time-slot when they return and will be assessed a $50 enrollment fee to re-enroll. Under the Summer Travel Policy, students who take 4 to 8 weeks off pay half the tuition amount in order to hold their weekly time-slot and stay enrolled. Student is eligible to attend 2 group make-up classes. (No private make-up lessons will be given for the missed lessons) This policy applies to the months of June, July, and August, and the discounted tuition will be reflected in the July invoice. If you need to take time off during these months, please fill out a Summer Travel Policy form. 30-Day Notice of Withdrawal There is an initial 2-month commitment requirement. East Valley School of Music requires a 30-day notice of withdrawal from lessons at any time. To withdraw, please inform your instructor and fill out a Notice of Withdrawal Form to turn in to the front office. If a student is unable to finish out the 30 days, the remaining lessons must be paid for in full.
As part of developing a strong community of music-makers, we ask for your permission to showcase your child’s musical successes. East Valley School of Music may film or photograph your child during the course of their lessons and/or performances. As your child’s parent/legal guardian, we are asking your permission for East Valley School of Music to use these photos/videos of your child for any legal use, including our website, social media, and print or digital marketing. No royalty, fee, or other compensation shall become payable to you for such use. East Valley School of Music will not use your child’s last name or any other identifying information when using photos/videos of your child.