Policies for All Instruments
Click here to see the Client Contract Agreement.
East Valley School of Music sends out periodic emails with important announcements and updates. Please be sure to read these emails to stay informed. Upon enrolling in lessons, you will be given your instructor’s contact information, including phone number and email address. If you need to cancel a lesson, contact your instructor directly. Please do not contact the office to cancel a lesson.
East Valley School of Music does not give refunds for missed lessons. Students who miss a lesson for any reason will have the opportunity to attend a group make-up class that will be held by their instructor once per month. Lessons cancelled by EVSM instructors will be rescheduled privately or taught by a substitute instructor.
Before enrolling in lessons at East Valley School of Music, students are required to have an instrument as well as other necessary equipment. Having the proper instrument and equipment is essential to students’ progress. Please read the following requirements for each instrument:
- Piano: Student must have an acoustic piano in order to enroll in lessons. Student is also required to purchase a metronome at instructor’s request.
- Voice: Student is required to have a CD player and a keyboard, digital piano, or acoustic piano in order to enroll in lessons.
- Guitar: Student is required to have an acoustic guitar or an electric guitar with amplifier in order to enroll in lessons. Student must also have a music stand, metronome, tuner, extra strings, and guitar picks.
- Bass: Student is required to have a bass guitar with amplifier in order to enroll in lessons. Student must also have a music stand, metronome, tuner, and extra strings.
- Strings: Student is required to have a working instrument with bow, rosin, and cleaning cloth in order to enroll in lessons. Cello students must have a rock stop for performances. Student must also have a music stand, metronome, and tuner. East Valley School of Music offers rentals for violin, viola, and cello. Please speak with your instructor before purchasing an instrument. Student may need to purchase additional materials upon instructor’s request.
- Woodwinds: Student is required to have a working instrument in order to enroll in lessons. Reed players are required to have a minimum of 2 working reeds at all times. Student must also have a music stand, metronome, and tuner. East Valley School of Music offers rentals for flute, clarinet, and saxophone. Please speak with your instructor before purchasing an instrument. Student may need to purchase additional materials upon instructor’s request.
- Percussion: Student is required to have an acoustic snare drum and/or practice pad, a bell kit, or a piano/keyboard, as well as sticks, a music stand, and a metronome. Student may need to purchase additional materials upon instructor’s request.
Waiting Area/Lesson Observation
Children under the age of 9 must be accompanied by an adult at all times, especially in the store area. While in the waiting area, please keep noise to a minimum. Parents are welcome to sit in on lessons at any time, but siblings, infants, and friends of students are not permitted to sit in on lessons as it is a distraction to both the student and the instructor and compromises the learning environment.
Students are required to attend lessons regularly and practice consistently. Music lessons are a serious commitment, and East Valley School of Music cannot hold timeslots for students who are unable to attend and/or practice on a regular basis. Student is required to practice the minimum minutes assigned by instructor 5 days a week. Parent is required to sign off on lesson assignment sheets to verify practice time for students age 4-12.
Probation & Dismissal
Instructor will notify parent if student is consistently absent, not practicing, not completing theory assignments, or misbehaving during lessons. If issues are not resolved, student will be placed on a 4-week probationary period or dismissed from East Valley School of Music.
Recital Participation, Preparation, and Guidelines
East Valley School of Music offers several recitals and performance opportunities for students throughout the year. Please see Calendar of Events or visit our website for a complete list of all recitals and performances.
- Students should have solo piece(s) memorized and performance-ready no less than 2 weeks prior to a recital. Students who are not prepared will not be allowed to perform. (Memorization is not required for duets and ensemble pieces.)
- Students are required to follow the dress code for each recital. Family and guests attending the recital should dress appropriately.
- Students are required to arrive at least 10 minutes early to all recitals. Depending on the instrument, students may be required to arrive up to 30 minutes early to prepare and warm-up per instructor’s request. Students who do not arrive in time to tune their instrument and/or warm-up will not be allowed to perform.
- Students are required to stay for their entire performance set as a courtesy to all of the performers.
- Performance etiquette: When performing, students will announce their name and piece and take a bow when finished. In addition, piano students need to adjust their bench height and distance before performing and do a wrist float-off after the final notes are played.
Due to the nature of coordinating timeslots and the schedules of instructors and students, it may be necessary to reassign a student to another instructor. Students assigned to an instructor who leaves East Valley School of Music will be reassigned to another instructor. Per the instructor contract with the school, instructors are not permitted to teach students privately, apart from East Valley School of Music.
Summer Travel Policy
East Valley School of Music continues lessons year-round. Please be aware that students who withdraw from lessons for summer travel will not be guaranteed a timeslot when they return. Students who leave for more than 4 weeks due to summer travel have the option of paying half the tuition amount for a time period of up to 8 weeks in order to stay enrolled and keep their weekly timeslot when they return. No make-up lessons will be given for students paying half tuition for the weeks missed, and half tuition payments must be made in advance.
30-Day Notice of Withdrawal
East Valley School of Music requires a 30-day notice of withdrawal from lessons at any time. To withdraw, please inform your instructor and fill out a Notice of Withdrawal Form to turn in to the front office. If a student is unable to finish out the 30 days, the remaining lessons must be paid for in full.